Radio and Juliet.© Marta Tiberiu.
Birmingham Royal Ballet is delighted to launch a funded commission for recently graduated artists and post graduate arts students from Birmingham City University and De Montfort University, Leicester*.
Artworks should engage with Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Radio & Juliet, a ballet choreographed to the music of Radiohead. Successful artists will have their creative responses showcased in venues and locations in the heart of Birmingham.
We welcome and encourage proposals from all art disciplines and practices, including interdisciplinary art installations. Please note this commission is not suitable for a concept that includes live performers.
31 May 2021: A full brief, including details on parameters, criteria and submission process, will be available to download here.
6 August 2021: Applications close. Artists will be required to submit a proposal of an initial concept with examples of similar scratch work.
13 August 2021: Successful artists notified.
23 August 2021: Creative mentorship begins.
4 to 17 October 2021: Successful artwork exhibited.
- Development of artistic portfolio, showcasing your work in conjunction with Birmingham Royal Ballet and the premiere of Radio and Juliet.
- Creative mentorship with award winning multi-media artists Davy and Kristin McGuire.
- £1000 production budget available inclusive of artist(s) fees and living costs.
- Access to a series of masterclasses led by arts industry professionals and access to Radio and Juliet rehearsals.
- Exclusive interviews and Q&A with Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Artistic Director Carlos Acosta and Radio and Juliet choreographer Edward Clug.
- Networking opportunities.
This artist commission is open to BCU and DMU post graduate students and recent graduates only. Those who are eligible include post graduate students from any arts course and students graduating in 2021 and 2020 from the following arts courses:
DMU Undergraduate courses
Animation; Architecture; Creative Music Technology; Dance; Drama; Fashion Design; Fashion, Communication & Styling; Film Studies; Fine Art; Game Art; Games Production; Graphic Design; Media Production; Music Technology; Music, Technology & Performance; Performing Arts; Photography & Video; Visual Effects
BCU Undergraduate courses
Art & Design; Architecture; Computer Games Technology; Costume Design and Practice; Design for Performance; Digital Film Production; Digital Media Computing; Fashion Design; Filmmaking; Film Studies; Fine Art; Illustration; Media and Communication'; Media Production; Music Technology; Photography; Textile Design; Video Game; Visual Effects
For further information and queries, please contact Hannah MacGregor, Engagement Coordinator, Birmingham Royal Ballet
Telephone: 0121 245 3134