Birmingham Royal Ballet is delighted to launch a funded commission for recently graduated Creatives from Birmingham City University and De Montfort University, Leicester*.
Artworks should engage with Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Radio & Juliet, a ballet choreographed to the music of Radiohead. Successful artists will have their creative responses showcased in venues and locations in the heart of Birmingham.
We welcome and encourage proposals from all art disciplines and practices, including interdisciplinary art installations. Please note this commission is not suitable for a concept that includes live performers.
31 May 2021: A full brief, including details on parameters, criteria and submission process, will be available to download here.
2 July 2021: Applications close. Artists will be required to submit a proposal of an initial concept with examples of similar scratch work.
19 July 2021: Successful artists notified.
23 August 2021: Creative mentorship begins.
4 to 17 October 2021: Successful artwork exhibited.
- Exciting opportunity to showcase your art work in conjunction with the Company premiere of Radio & Juliet.
- Creative mentorship with award winning multi-media artists Davy and Kristin McGuire.
- Exclusive interviews and Q&A with Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Artistic Director Carlos Acosta and Radio & Juliet choreographer Edward Clug.
- Access to a series of masterclasses led by arts industry professionals and access to Radio & Juliet rehearsals.
- Networking opportunities.
- Allowance of up to £1000 production budget inclusive of artist(s) fees and living costs.
* This project is open for applications from BCU/DMU students graduating in 2021 from the following courses:
DMU Undergraduate courses
Animation; Architecture; Creative Music Technology; Dance; Drama; Fashion Design; Fashion, Communication & Styling; Film Studies; Fine Art; Game Art; Games Production; Graphic Design; Media Production; Music Technology; Music, Technology & Performance; Performing Arts; Photography & Video; Visual Effects
BCU Undergraduate courses
Art & Design; Architecture; Computer Games Technology; Costume Design and Practice; Design for Performance; Digital Film Production; Digital Media Computing; Fashion Design; Filmmaking; Film Studies; Fine Art; Illustration; Media Production; Music Technology; Photography; Textile Design; Video Game; Visual Effects
For further information and queries, please contact Hannah MacGregor, Engagement Coordinator, Birmingham Royal Ballet
Telephone: 0121 245 3134
Birmingham Royal Ballet dancer Brandon Lawrence at Spaghetti Junction
© Drew Tommons www.drewtommonsphotographer.co.uk